deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

July 15, 2012

Biennale: Cockatoo Island

(Blogger, stop screwing up!) Yesterday was a gorgeous winter day, perfect (if not a little too warm) for checking out the Biennale of Sydney with YY and Wailam. There are a couple of venues - Cockatoo Island, Pier 2/3, the MCA, and the Art Gallery of NSW. We thought we'd be able to see them all if we got an early start, but we only managed Cockatoo Island. It goes on for another two or so months, through my midsem break, so I'll probably be able to look in on the other venues before it ends.


Cockatoo Island. If you remember, Outpost was held here as well.


Silk sheets dyed in Fanta. I really regret using my 50mm lens, it was hard to capture the scale of some of the installations.


  
One of our favourites, click for fullsize. I wish my camera had a video option so you could see this properly. Loads and loads of clacking bamboo windchimes in a concrete enclosure - we couldn't see anything from the outside and had to stoop to get through a tiny door. The sunny day made it even better, because the windchimes cast hundreds of jellyfish-like shadows on the walls and ground.

  
Another cool one - water fog which was released every hour. It came right out at us and my hair was drenched.


Big foam sculpture WL was particularly enamoured with.



Yes, you are reading that right.


Afterwards, we took the ferry back to Circular Quay, feasted on McDonalds in the Botanical Gardens, and walked all the way back into the city, checking out the World Press Photo exhibition at the State Library along the way.

I'm back at uni for the new semester tomorrow, booo. I was quiet around here on purpose for the last week of the holidays, because I wanted to pull back on blogging a little. I still enjoy it, but I feel I've turned into an over-sharer, like one of those people who need to post about everything they do on Facebook. Not sure how this will go, though...

27 comments:

  1. That fog work was so sci-fi. Next time we go we need to see it from above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen something like that before. These outdoor installments looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These installations look amazing! Visually, auditory and sensory appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i am guilty of oversharing... also, i'm verrrry really enamoured (slight understatement) with your photo of the foam installation. that was SO AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, nowhere near as much as some other people on my feed...

      Delete
  5. You always take the best photos and do the coolest stuff, I'm so jealous!
    I start school next week as well, so sad :(
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and intriguing exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are really cool. I'd like to see the water fog exhibit

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like such an amazing day, and what a cool place! i'd totally go there if i was even a bit near to where you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some seriously amazing instillations, I'm loving the wind chimes. SO pretty! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are always great! I love them all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I can't wait to go check it out. I'm waiting until after the school holidays end so I won't be surrounded by children. It looks awesome, I heard there are bug testicles on display. And the World Press Photo Exhibition always makes me so so depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh this looks awesome!! I love art galleries. the wind chimes exhibit sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait til the World Press Photo Exhibition will be shown in Vienna <3
    These installments look incredible! I wish one could install the windchimes in a public place during Summer, it looks amazing!

    Hope you have a good start into the new semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh this place looks amazing, some of the designs ! :O all the best for uni! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw dude, it looks absolutely amazing. That windchime installation looks so awesome. The shadows of those wind-chimes are really cool too. I wish they had this in Amsterdam... :O

    ReplyDelete
  16. At my school, everybody wants to take a look at this exhibition after my trials! I want to too, the wind chimes and foam sculptures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing the photos :} the gallery looks so unique. love the array of colors~ really makes one think.

    Do you like beauty products?
    We're holding a giveaway @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. How sad, I live in Sydney & I never knew these kind of things existed. As usual, everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photo's are so cool! I would love to visit the fog exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so cool :) and your pictures are amazing as always! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow it looks great! i'll have to check it out with some friends one weekend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooh haven't been to Cockatoo Island in a while. totally missed seeing these amazing installations though! the water fog looks really eerie and cool haha :)

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fresh and innovative ideas to look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely photographs & interesting trip as always! Those pictures really looks amazing (the last one is definitely my favorite!). And I totally agree with what you've experienced with 50mm lens. It's an very great lens but somehow not really fits in any kind of situation.
    Anyway good luck for the new semester!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.