deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

October 27, 2013

Skincare overhaul

What? A skincare post? I'm surprised as well. I don't even have a category for this. Anyway, about 3 months ago I started on a course of isotretinoin (Roaccutane/Accutane) for my acne. I think I'll do a proper post on the whole Roaccutane thing and why I went on it once I'm nearer to the end, but for now these are all the lotions and potions I've had to buy since starting it.

accutane skincare
One of the major side effects is that it really, really dries out your skin and lips, so I had to do a complete 180 from acid-based cleansers and treatments to more gentle products and focus a lot more on moisturising.

Lush Ultrabland cleanser - an oil based cleanser which you smear all over your face and then wipe off, taking makeup with it. It's a bit messy, so I use it before I shower so I can use warm water and a facecloth to take it off (then I have to wash the facecloth). It's expensive but it works for me, and I'm on my second tub.

Cetaphil SPF50+ facial moisturiser - I use this under my makeup when I'm leaving the house. Another side effect of Roaccutane is that you get really sun sensitive, so I picked it specifically for the sun protection. It does what it says - protects and moisturises - but it's a bit thick and hard to put on, so I'm keeping an eye out for another.

Vichy and Chapstick lip balms - I like to use stick balms when I'm out and about and can't wash my hands (I feel it's more hygienic). I'm almost out of the standard Chapsticks so I got some of the fancy Vichy ones to try out. They're a bit different, they don't leave a layer on top of your lips and kind of sink in. They have a weird smell which I sort of like.

Cetaphil face and body moisturiser - my face didn't like this at all (I got this itchy rash), so I'm just using it on my body.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar H moisturiser - apparently it's made specifically for people on Roaccutane. I've only been using it a week and I like it so far. It's nice and thin and goes on easily so I don't have to injure myself trying to drag it out over my face.

Vaseline - I don't know why I included it, this is gross and no one here needs to know, but the dryness includes the skin inside your nose as well, so you start getting nosebleeds (and when I was sick, really painful nostrils because I kept blowing my nose). So I have to use a cotton bud to put a bit of Vaseline up there morning and night.

accutane skincare
These two get a special mention because they've been complete lifesavers.

Lush Ultrabalm - it's a balm sort of like Vaseline, I bought this to use on my lips at home but it's been a lifesaver for soothing and healing the random eczema patches (another side effect) that have sprung up on my arm. I had this weird red scaly patch of skin on my hand, but since it didn't itch I wasn't too bothered by it; when it hadn't faded after a month, I started using Ultrabalm on it and it was gone within a week.

La Roche-Posay Cicaplast skin recovery accelerator - this stuff is my saviour. My dryness was under control until I got sick a couple of weeks ago, when I suddenly got all this flakiness out of nowhere. It was so bad, I looked like a furry animal and I was actually finding bits of flaked-off skin on my clothes (ew?). I couldn't even wear makeup to cover it, I looked horrendous. Anyway, this stuff (which is apparently made for using after chemical peels) on top of moisturiser works wonders and stopped the flakiness right away.

Tip for fellow Australians, passed on from my skincare-fiend friends - I got the Vichy and La Roche-Posay off Escentual, which carries loads of skincare brands for a lot less pricey than you would find here. Shipping's about £5 (it's UK-based) but it still works out cheaper (especially if you have aforementioned friends to split shipping with). They're doing 1/3 off French pharmacy products until the end of October.

I apologise if I've bored and confused you with my veritable essay about moisturising... what do you guys like to use on your beautiful faces?

27 comments:

  1. Oh good luck on the accutane, I remember when my friends went on it. Scary business that is. And yeah, keep the skin moisturised and protected from the sun. Avoid using cetaphil facial cleanser, which you're not using but yeah there's been a lot of articles popping up about how it's not healthy for the skin to use even though it feels so gentle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hadn't heard the stuff about Cetaphil, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Ah! I hope this acne treatment course will give you
    good results c: good thing that you are using more
    gentle stuff, Lush products are good since they
    use minimum harsh chemical stuff. Me, I use stuff
    from The Bodyshop, Yes to Tomato and some
    regular drugstore creme.... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to try new things on the blog! I really like this post, I think it gives the readers a chance to know you on a different personal level. Acne sucks big time - will it ever end?! Vaseline is a total life saver, I have the biggest jar of baby vaseline :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vaseline is a classic, always works wonders for my skin, lashes and lips. It's quite an underrated simple thing actually but gets the job done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely products!

    xx Mounia
    www.nonchalantrebel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Vaseline for my nose too, I get terrible nose bleeds and as well as some special cream it's the only thing that works.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my skin was super dry last year (flakey dry!), moisturizer was my number 1 priority. BB cream, foundation or anything else just doesn't work if the face is so dry :( I would put moisturizer on only to have it flakey in a few hours. It was frustrating. I even had that flakes on clothes problem too!

    Right now I've been exfoliating and moisturizing with Korean (Lady & Skin) products and so far they've worked well because I don't have any flakes anymore! I was encouraged to try Accutane a few years ago too but I was too afraid of the symptoms because my skin is so sensitive to begin with. How has your 3 month treatment been so far?

    I think I like that skin recovery accelerator product you mentioned and would try it out next time! My skin and I have been on good terms lately but who knows what will happen in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the accutane - my skin is pretty sensitive as well, but the side effects haven't been anything I can't handle (apart from that flakiness a few weeks ago!). I'm on a low-ish dose (20mg for 6 weeks then 30mg for the last few weeks) which probably helps. It's mostly the dry skin and lips, and the new eczema on my arms (I had a little bit to start off with). Luckily, I haven't had any other symptoms like mood changes or muscle aches.

      Definitely try the Cicaplast if you get flaky again, it worked so well for me!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the tip about escentual - will definitely have to check them out. I'm not sure if you've heard of feelunique but they're also a UK based site and shipping is free!

    http://www.erinoxnam.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have a look on there next time I need something!

      Delete
  9. I cannot live without my Lush Ultrabalm! :) It's such a fantastic product, isn't it ?

    Hayfa
    http://www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should get a tub of Vaseline, haha. My skin gets crazy dry during the winter! I'll have to check out the Lush product. Does it have a scent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ultrabalm? It's not scented per se but there is a mild smell of something to it, I don't think it would bother most people!

      Delete
  11. Ooh, I'm really curious about that Ultrabalm now! I've always heard about it, but never got around to picking it up in store. Good luck with the treatment by the way, I don't necessarily have dry skin but I've been using Hydraluron and it's worked wonders. Definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep Hydraluron in mind, it sounds promising!

      Delete
  12. Ahh Lush! I have heard so much about those products. Did you get it from Australia? Honestly my skincare routine just consists of QV lotion and Shiseido cleanser and toner :P You make me seem so lazy haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought the Lush stuff here. Haha that's cause you don't need much more!

      Delete
  13. Ultrabland is amazing! It cleanses way better than my old make up remover. Skin feels so soft after too! I trust your word on the others so I'll use that as an excuse to go on a little spending spree :] Hope you are well Jane! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got pretty bad skin but I don't use much other than a facewash, scrub and moisturiser.

    Do you find many decent varsity jackets over there? I'm not keen on new ones with tonnes of badges and logos that you get.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love La Roche Posay, I always have dry lips from October to April and they sell great stuff to not make my lips a bloody mess. But what, wait... is it bad that I never use moisturiser? I feel so lazy and unknowing now :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! These products look amazing!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, I always spend a fortune when buying beauty goodies! Unfortunately, my skin has been really tough to deal with lately. I feel like I might need some change in my routine, guess I just don't give it enough love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I used to get nosebleeds a lot as a kid, my dad made me put vaseline in my nose haha, I thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am horribly bad about my skin, but recently I've been using Burt Bee's cleanser and moisturizer (all natural!!) and I really like them :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like the kind of products I always need to use, I have really dry skin (especially in the winter). It was fun to read a little different post on you blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.