deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

April 10, 2014

Edinburgh

Well I have certainly managed to drag the Europe trip posts out. This is the last one (phew), from Edinburgh, before we left in early January. I didn't get many pictures, because on one of the days I forgot to put the battery back into my camera after charging it (oww). It's very pretty city, and felt very small especially after London. We spent two and a half days there (half a day was spent drying off after a morning of particularly horrible weather), and we saw most tourist type things. We actually took the sleeper train up from London, and I got so many kicks from sleeping in a bunk on a train. Wai Lam, who had become sick, was less impressed.



Bathroom in The Elephant Cafe, one of the cafes in which JK Rowling worked on the first Harry Potter book. The HP-related graffiti is awesome, the toilet seat had "Ministry of Magic" written on it.


Victoria St, which apparently inspired Diagon Alley.



Greyfriar's Kirkyard.


J.K. Rowling took inspiration from some of the names on the gravestones, like Thomas Riddell's.


Edinburgh Castle.




Because Edinburgh is built on hills, there are a lot of small staired lanes to link the streets at different heights - I loved them.


View of the city from Calton Hill.


On our last day, because it had stopped raining, we thought we'd conquer Arthur's Seat.


View of the city from somewhere near the top.



It was really, really big - you can't get a good sense of scale from this photo.

Well that was a marathon of travel posts! I haven't even posted anything from my trip to China yet - might save those for a rainy day, or when I'm away again... e.g. in July, when I'm going to New Zealand! Woohoo, roadtrip! We're there for a short while, only 9 days actually, because we had to sync up all our break dates. But it's only 3 hours away, not like the US/Europe where you want to make the most of a 24 hour flight. Super excited because this will be different and more about natural scenery, like fjords and glaciers (and Hobbiton, at my friend's insistence).

26 comments:

  1. I am in love with your photography :) You always take lovely pictures.
    http://10thjune.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the denim shirt! Loveley pictures too! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that your Uniqlo shirt? You have a great expression in that mirror selfie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! With the collar and cuffs loose cause they were soaked from the rain haha.

      Delete
  4. i just can't get enough of the buildings and the roads. i never have thought seriously about going to europe for a trip but lately it's been weighing my mind. it would be splendid to witness these sights first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love Edinburgh, and the area around Victoria St. in particular. I'm going back in June and am so excited! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edinburgh I will visit you next time ^___^ I think my favorite
    photo is the one of you in that rebels toilet :P Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. edinburgh us knackering cos it's so hilly, as you mentioned. mega tiring. it's a lovely place though, i had a nice time while i was there. i didn't even know we had sleeper train, this is news to me!

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edinburgh looks stunning! I think I've mentioned before how much I absolutely adore your photography :) It really is fantastic.
    I hope you have fun in New Zealand! It's actually a huge dream of mine to travel to Australia/New Zealand. Hope to make it happen some day :)
    Great post.
    Love,
    Alona.

    Style Wanders

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, now I'm really envious! Scotland has always been one of my dream trips, I feel ashamed that I never had the opportunity to travel around that much since my work only allow to have holidays twice a year (2 week holidays...). After my trip to Ireland I feel even more connected to the Celtic countries and Edinburgh looks like the prettiest gothic city I could imagine myself living there! I'm in love with these photos, Jane! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edinburgh! I love that city, went there in February last year and I really want to go back. Looks like you went to a lot of the same places as me, especially the Harry Potter inspired places.
    Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw wow this looks so pretty, Edinburgh is in my top 3 places I want to visit and you've just made me want to go so much more! Sleeper train sounds awesome too!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I remember Edinburgh fondly... well except for the food poisoning that I was suffering through at the same time. Such a charming city.. parts of it extremely old and full of character while parts of it were very modern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhhhh, Edinburgh is one of my favourite places I've been in the UK (but I have a lot of favourite places in the UK). I really, really (!!) like that first picture, and pretty much everything from Arthurs Seat. Superlovely. (And I wouldn't mind some travel pictures any time soon!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These pictures are wonderful and the architecture of the city is so beautiful! Sigh, your pictures are making my travel bug itch XD;

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Harry Potter stuff is so cool! I didn't know that she got the name Tom Riddell from a real grave. There is something so spooky about that. All her references are so clever.
    I am definitely going to be visiting that cafe one day!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photos are just gorgeous. You seriously have such a good eye! I love all of the brick in the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the high shots Jane! You're totally not dragging out the Europe posts. I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do and the photos make us feel like we are there :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely adore the photos! And imagine I knew none of that HP trivia - none! So thank you for sharing. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. so many holidays, you lucky thing! though i'm about to head away on one myself in a few weeks, and it's a pretty big one! lovely photos, you're getting me really excited about going away. i was only in edinburgh for a couple of days when i was there a few years ago but it was a great city, and one of my favourite authors is from there so that was really cool. i didn't realise there was so much harry potter related stuff there though, wish i'd known about that at the time!

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, your photos are so lovely! I wanna travel!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your blog! Following you now, hope you will follow my blog as well ♥
    LUSCIOUS STYLE

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ow wow! These pictures are gorgeous. Now I really want to go to Edinburgh. It looks like the perfect place :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely post!
    Such a beautiful pics))
    I`ll be happy if we follow to each other!Just let me know in my blog)
    http://www.elationofcreation.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.