deluminators

     about     contact          blogroll     +

     about     contact     categories     blogroll     +

March 19, 2017

A catch-up


An outtake from my Orange post.

I don't really chat about life on here as much as I used to, do I? Partly because I'm still trying to get retrospective travel posts up, and partly because I've been so busy I don't really have the chance to write about things straight after they happen. But here's a bit of what's going on.

Work
I've been completely hammered at work. I'm doing geriatrics right now, which seems to be one of the busier terms. My life is less like Scrubs or Greys Anatomy and more like The Devil Wears Prada. Every day I'm trying to do things I have no idea how to do, or feel impossible, like trying to get hold of unpublished Harry Potter books. Nevertheless, it's satisfying to know that I'm the one making things happen for patients. There are still days here and there that I don't have time for lunch and one time I cried in the car on the way home from sheer hunger and exhaustion. I'm hoping it's a baptism by fire sort of situation and I'll find my next rotations easier in comparison.

Study
Unfortunately the study didn't end with med school. I'm looking to go into surgery, and I need to sit a surgical sciences exam before I can get on. I'm planning to take it in February next year, and while I can always sit it again if I fail, each attempt costs $4000 (!!!) so I'd rather not. I'm generally good at exams, however I've been finding that studying is really, really hard after a day or week at work. I'm just going to have to try my best and hope my next few rotations aren't as hardcore.

Travel
I'm going (with my tried-and-true travel buddy Wai Lam and her sister) to Moscow, St Petersburg, Vienna and Budapest this August! I've never been able to get time off in the European summer before so it'll be a nice change to pack for mild weather. At the end of that trip I'll also be in Edinburgh for a few days for a surgical skills course (it's equivalent, but cheaper to do there than in Australia). It's supposed to be a holiday but I'm excited for it in a nerdy way. I've been to Edinburgh once before, but the weather that time was horrid and I'm hoping it will be nicer to walk around in early September. Something to keep me going!

Please tell me about the fun things going on in your lives right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I'll make sure to check out your blog. If you've asked a question, hit "subscribe by email" below or check back for my reply.



Follow Deluminators on Blogger or Bloglovin'.